Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 3, lots of glue

The goal of day three was to attach the keel to the stems and shape the gunwales onto the stems. It must be pointed out, that will all my builds, this last step is my least favorate. In fact, I hate it. Unlike yesterday, in which I had a day off, today would have to be a partial day as I work second shift and have my mornings to work on the boat. I got to work pegging the keel in place. The keel it attached by placing two or three pegs in different directions. The force off all the angles working against each other holds them tightly in place. Through trail and error, I also lash them in place. I'm using 1/4 inch dowels and I glue them in place. Quickly done. Up next, my least favorite job.
I am trying something new this time and placing a strip of wood (the tip of a gunwale) on the stems and using that as I guide to cut off gunwale. I had to do this a couple of times to remove enough wood. In the past, I used the saw itself and slowly rubbed off little bit, by little bit until it was angled correctly. Of course in all my builds, they rarely angled nicely the first try. I'm also using a nice sturdy strong back to hold everything in place, so I was hopeful. To my surprise, it worked beautifully and it was done fairly quickly. This would be a good time to point out, how I made my stems. The stems are cut out of a larger peice of plywood. I left it attached to the plywood however and cut out about 75 percent of the inside cut. When everything is firmy attached to everything else I will cut our the rest. Only time will tell how easily it will be to finnish the cutting. It definitely worked to keep the stems strait and true.
With my daily goal done, I checked my clock. I still had 45 minutes left. With the next step being glueing the gunwales together, I started to get the ready. Most canoes use and inwale and and outwale with the ribs sandwiched between On the other side of the skin is usually a rub strip too. I decided to glue the inwale and outwale together to simply make a gunwale. My reasoning to use two peices instead of one to make the gunwale was to hopefully make them hold the curve better, the basic idea of laminating. My reasoning of not using the traditional order was because it seemed way too over complicated. Only time will tell if my decision was a good one. The tricky part would be to take the outwale off, while leaving the inwale attached and then to glue it back on in the exact same placement. This really wasn't all that complicated (but it was tedious) and it was done in all due time. With everything strapped back together, I decided to peg the tips the the stems. Once pegged it will get reinforced with lashing (literally hand sewn together). With my artificial sinew and needle in the house, the day was done. Another day of more progress than expected.


No comments: